Saturday, July 30, 2005

I know enough to know that I don’t know much…

.... and now for some pop culture... The phrase of this posting came from the mouth of the rapper Common, who perfomed on Russell Simmons' Def Poetry Jam on HBO tonight. Dang. Really. I don’t want to sound to earnest, but I love that phrase, cause its true. That said - Every time I watch Def Poetry Jam I am blown away. Forget that Bad Boys of Comedy rubbish that precedes it. al b Back’s poem, Super Negro was brilliant. Cant get the poem online (if you find it, let me know…), but trust me, it was good. And Preach’s Cotton was off the hook. And of course, there was the wonderful Staceyann Chinn, whose one woman play, BorderClash is still showing at the Culture Project in NYC,. Check it out if you can.

And one recommendation - Weekends at the DL with DL Hughley is GREAT! You may only know him as one of the ‘Kings of Comedy’ with Bernie Mac (another great comedian, who doesn’t get enough credit), but really, DL Hughley is funnier than I thought he would be (and I liked him before this). Let’s hope they don’t cancel the programme before it has a chance to develop. He needs to leave stand up comedy behind and deal with hosting, he is much funnier when he has to respond to things off the cuff. If you agree, I urge you all to check it out, spread the word and write to Comedy Central to let them know that the show has fans…

I think that is pretty much it for tonight. Other than that, check out the Laura Flanders Show tomorrow and Sunday, we have a fantastic set of shows for you this weekend. Lets talk John Roberts and lets talk about Trade Unions - are they working for you?. Tune in.. In the meantime, look out for some analysis on the modern punk movement – only on The GB, this week…

No comments: