Friday, September 22, 2006

It's the little things

It’s been a rough couple of weeks here in GB land, but there have been a few moments of greatness. Starting with a wonderful performance by Wunmi at SOB's in NYC last night who stated categorically that she refused to take on the labels other people put on her. 'Everyone calls me the queen of AfroBeat' she said (well, something to that effect anyway), 'but I am not. I do what I do. You put Sade is Sade's Box, Bjork in Bjork's box, so why not put Wunmi in Wunmi's box?! I do what I do. Then she proceeded to slay the audience with her brand of music, which the GB shall henceforth call Wunmibeat (hahaha).

It was a historic moment for all that know her. Then this morning, on the way into manhattan, while psyching up for another day on the grind, I saw a wonderful looking woman, dark chocolate skin with a very low afro, dyed blonde and striking eye makeup. I normally don’t feel that look, but she looked amazing. I stood in awe, I caught myself, but it was too late, she had already caught me - or so I thought. It turned out she was looking at me. Before the subway doors opened, she mouthed, ' I'm loving your jacket, its cute'. I laughed at her, and said, and I was just admiring your hair! We both chuckled, wished each other a great day.

No comments: