Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Girl Like Me, by Kiri Davis

I saw Kiri Davis being interviewed some time back about her project, and have wanted to see this film ever since. And it'st just as great as it sounds.



The film brought back conversations that I have had with myself and my close girlfriends. And I am sure it's a conversation that will continue for years until we address the issue of what we show in the media - and everywhere else. It's all about your skin tone baby - no matter what part of the world you are from. Skin lighteners sell like crazy in Africa yo'. It's a b***h... It still stings me when I recall some boy telling me that I couldnt be considered for the 'pretty girl list' (you know how kids do), becuse I was black ('...but you're really pretty for a black girl')... it also amuses me when I recall how one of my teachers would (without fail) comment about my hair style, when I walked in with freshly braided hair ('oooh your hair looks like snakes! Come here, can I touch it?! How does your mummy do that?') And people wonder why black women are obsessed with their looks??! I mean, seriously...





No comments: