Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Leeds, Ellis and that flaming 'Bell Curve' ...

I was alerted to a story about a race row started by Frank Ellis, a lecturer in Russian and Slavonic studies at Leeds University in England. Ellis said:

'Multiculturalism is doomed to failure - and is failing - because it is based on the lie that all people, races and cultures are equal; that no one race or culture is better (superior) than any other.' Such lies were propagated by the 'Guardian-reading classes', he said. He also made insulting remarks about Africans, citing research that claimed the average IQ on that continent was 70. He said: 'In the West, an individual with an IQ of 70 would be regarded as being very close [to], or within the range of, mental retardation.'

Ellis also said that if one took out 'white' and 'male'
'out of science and technology, one would have no science, just witchcraft, third world squalor, misery and mega-incompetence."

Wow. First, Ellis needs a history lesson. But to me, what is worse is this: while some students want him out, a Leeds University spokeswoman said, 'there was no evidence his extreme theories had affected his teaching'.

OK then....

Let me just say this before someone comes out screaming 'freedom of speech' at me. And I know those who support Ellis will accuse his opponents of trying to stifle freedom of speech. The thing is, Ellis is in a position of power, so I DO have a problem with Ellis a) possibly expressing his (scientifically flawed) views during one of his classes, and b) potentially tutoring someone that is not white - someone who he claims is inferior. That is if he doesn’t refuse to teach them in the first place.

I have had teachers who have treated me like I was 'less than' my white counterparts. Certainly, they were not as extreme as Ellis by any stretch of the imagination. The first time it happened to me (as far as I am aware), was when I was eight years old. The culprit was a teacher in training, and from day one, no matter how much I tried (and I did!), she gave me a harder time than the other kids. She even marked me down a few times. Even the other kids remarked that she wasn’t as nice to me. After a few months, I figured out that it must have had something to do with my race (I was the only black kid in my class, and trust me, you see patterns of behaviour fast when things happen to you on even a semi-regular basis). One day, toward the end of her time with us, we had a maths test and the girl sitting next to me was copying me – blatantly so. And this teacher saw her do it. At the end of the school day, the teacher told us both to stay behind – and she accused me of copying, even though my grades had consistently been the higher of the two students – and despite the fact that she saw the other student copy me, as I mentioned before. I protested, but we took the test and the results revealed who was copying who. I got an apology, from the trainee teacher, but she was upset that she had to admit she was wrong. And I stopped trying with her anymore. I believe she qualified, so if I do the math, she has probably been teaching for at least 20 years now.

Needless to say, I don’t feel comfortable with Leeds University’s claim that Ellis’ beliefs have not ‘affected his teaching’.

One cant help but look at the British education system each time figures come out, claiming that black males are failing in schools in the UK - especially after this latest debacle. After all, how can a student succeed in a system where teachers who have obvious and extreme biases against any group – and who don’t believe in equality - are not challenged (or rewarded) by the system? And what message does Leeds University think it is sending to its current and potential students by not challenging Ellis?

One of my earliest memories was being told that as a Black Female, I would have to work twice as hard as my white contemporaries if I ever wanted to fulfil my career dreams. I thought it wouldn’t be the case, because things change. Unfortunately, it was - and still is the case. And I really hoped that I wouldn’t have to tell my kids, or my grandchildren the same thing, but I guess I will.

No comments: