Monday, March 13, 2006

Out of this world: Me, Walter Mosley and Montana

No, they are not related. These are just two more things I wanted to mention...

Walter Mosley, thinks I'm a'ight (at least I think). He came on our show last sunday to talk about his new meditation on the African American community, called 'Life Out of Context. You can read a piece based on the book here. He was very nice to me (and complimentary - yes I am easily pleased you know - even if my boyfriend would argue to the contrary..). Anyway, back to this 'Life Out of Context' book. Its a short read and enjoyable read and I recommend anyone who is looking for ways to create a more representative democracy - wherever they live - to read it. In the book, Mosley suggests that one way for African Americans to get what they need from the American political system is to start their own party - A Black Party. And in doing so, all Americans could begin a people's revolution, with smaller political groups, based on specific interests, representing EVERYONE's civic and political needs. Needless to say, I have become a little obsessed with Mosley's writing and am reading one of his Sci Fi boos, Futureland. Lovin' it.

Meanwhile, this week, I discovered that Montana - yes Montana, probably has one of THE most progressive State constitutions in the US! I realise this is totally geeky, but I cant help myself. Now, dont get me wrong, there are some things in it, that I cant be dealing with, but you know, we cant get it right every time... I mean, check out what the consitution (which was re written in 1972) says about maintaining the heritage and self determination of the American Indian community: 'The state recognizes the distinct and unique cultural heritage of American Indians and is committed in its educational goals to the preservation of their cultural integrity' That is NOT to say that its all sweet there. As Pat Williams, a Montana Legislator points out, American's still know little about the Indian community. In fact, its only since the newley elected Democratic governor took office in 2004, that things seem to be moving forward. I talked with Anna Whiting-Sorrell, the policy advisor for Governor Brian Schweitzer last week. And she said, that this administration is moving to develop the curriculum so that ALL of Montanas history (yes, including the history of the Indian community) will be taught in their schools.

And she assured me that it was happening! Maybe a few other states (or countries) could take a leaf out of their book...

No comments: