Monday, June 12, 2006

Black Stars v Italy - whats up with that second goal??!!

A friend commented to me how the World Cup brings out the craziest kinds of nationalism in people, and I had my moment this evening - with an Italian fan, no less! I happened to be wearing my Ghana team top today, in support of the Black Stars -- and passed the said Italian gentleman on the street. Picture it: two people, wearing football jersey's in USA - the nation that doesn't even know what 'soccer' is... We had a moment of recognition. It was like we were kindred spirits, I could see that he wanted to say, 'Sister, you are watching the World Cup too?!!!' And I wanted to answer, 'Yes! Yes, my brother, I do!!'. Then everything slowed down. I realised he was wearing an Italy top. He registered that I was wearing a Ghana top. There was a moment of confusion, and well... put it this way, we could have been two people who had bumped into each other in the street, a week after a nasty breakup.

But, let's talk about these Black Stars. This is what the Ghana Captian, Stephen Appiah said about his team after their 2-0 loss: '...We have to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them against the Czech Republic..."

What happened boys? Ghana wasnt outclassed by Italy, first things first, no matter what the press says. The team actually stood its ground. Although, they need to start actually SCORING some of those goals they try for. Essien, was wicked, definitely one of the standout players - he showed me why they paid him the big bucks, but boy, that second Italian goal was PAINFUL man. What was going on??!

What can I say, I am into my football - so much so that I shocked a new friend who watched the Ghana match with me today. He didnt realise I had it in me, what can I say... I even had to call my dad in the UK to vent. I still hurt. That second goal didnt have to happen man... That said, I was watching hisory! The first time Ghana was in the World Cup - and they were my team!!

Ugh, lets just hope that the Black Stars' next match isnt a replay of today. I dont think I could handle it. I do the math correctly, if Ghana draws with the Czech Republic and beat the USA (3-0 to the CR, is all I can say...) Ghana could still get through on goal difference. But realistically, Ghana needs to BEAT both teams. Just that simple.

And as much as I love the Black Stars, some of the team needs to work on their acting skills, that dive was hilarious... good try though...

No comments: