Sunday, June 18, 2006

Commentators on the World Cup

OK, so, the goal that the US 'scored', was actually an own goal by Italy, right?


The commentators on ESPN are hilarious. they are breaking down what the US needs to do in order to get through to the next round. Good on them. Yes, the US needs to beat Ghana, and I think Italy needs to lose to the Czech republic, if memory serves me right. Forgive me, but dont the US need to score a goal first?! I dont mean to be bratty, but let me enjoy my little 'Black Stars' enduced high. That said, I wont take anything for granted, Thursdays match is still very important and the US players will give it their all - and two of our key players will be sitting this match out, so still, I am sure there will be plenty of drama...

Anyhoo - its all about Brazil today. Brazil vs Australia today - hey anything can happen, but I dont think we will get any surprises in this match.

In the meantime, here is an interesting comment from Cameron Duodu in the guardian about racist commentary on the part of British footie commentators (obviously written efore the second match)... well, racist British commentary isnt unique, the Americans use their fair share of 'vibrant', 'strong', 'powerful', undisciplined', in their footie commentary when there is an African / South American / Caribbean team in the mix ('The Brazilian's play the game like children play the game, with so much joy and passion... or my personal favourite: 'it's like they are all doing the Samba, just not at the same time...'): http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/cameron_duodu/2006/06/all_quiet_on_the_ghana_world_c.html

That said, its not all negative, this piece was quite nice: http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/internationals/article1090218.ece

I think I might start a daily list of classic 'colonial' comments. Feel free to add to the list. You see my first two suggestions.

No comments: