Tuesday, June 27, 2006

THANK YOU BLACK STARS! ROLL ON SOUTH AFRICA 2010!!

OK, the boys didn't win their match, they missed ample opportunity to score, but they didn't disgrace themselves - they did us proud. The score didn't represent the quality of Ghana's play (apart from their inability to convert their possession into goals!!). Even Brasil's coach had to pay our boys a tribute. But it was no walk in the park for Brazil, they worked for those goals. However, we saw why Brazilian players get paid the big money. It's simple - they are able to convert their possession into goals easier than Ghana can - right now... But you know what? We should only look at this experience as a success - and build on it.
Some say that Ghana's defeat is a setback for Africa to maintain its quota of five teams in the tournament. I don't think so. I think the continent needs to take this experience and run with it. And Africans KNOW how to make something work for us - its what we do. So, enough already!!
That coming from me shouldn't be taken lightly, because I can be quick to write things off if they don't go the way I want them to. So here is my suggestion. Let the Ghana national football squad know that you thought they did us proud, send a letter, an email! No, its not wack, how else are they going to know that people across the world appreciate them?! I am writing mine right now...

Meanwhile Spain lost 3-1 to France (so Ghana is almost in good company - and what I mean by that is that the teams lost by a similar margin...). That was painful for Spain. They were level until the last 10 minutes of the match... wow... So who to support now that the tournaments most ethical team is out of the running?! I have three choices (in no particular order): Brasil? They are always a favourite, but I dunno - its hard given today's result, but that said, if they win, we feel better about our loss, I guess.. or maybe France? A lot of brothers on the team, I am always down for supporting the Diaspora - and given that Luis Aragones, the Spanish coach STILL refuses to apologize to Thierry Henry for the racist comments he made toward the Frenchman, I have a little more sympathy with the French team. Then, of course, there is In-ger-laaaand (England to you...), well, its the country that I was brought up in, after all!! But no matter what, from here on in, the World Cup, wont QUITE be the same for me!! Thank you Black Stars for your kick-ass performance! And long may your rise continue!!

No comments: